Friday, September 20, 2013

Great fish and chips on the hills, not by the sea

Seasalt (Mid-Levels)
When I found out about this place I really wanted to go especially if a Brit saids that an Oz style fish and chips are good.

At first I was a bit hesistant to go because it was located on the Mid Levels and they did not answer their phones.

I can understand they are not taking phone orders but it would be appreciated if they answered the phones so that I know it is open especially trekking a long distance from SK to the Mid levels.

I nearly gave up coming here because I was not familiar with the Mid Levels and did not have the slightest clue how to get there.

Anyway, since I really wanted to try their fish and chips I took my chances and hoped that it would be open because new restaurants often have special opening hours.

When I got there, I was greeted with bright blue stools and chequered tiles.



The front of the restaurant had open windows, lovely for breezy and cooler days.


There is a lovely view of trees with a sense of tranquility away from the hustle and bustle of the noisy city.

The food selection is listed on the side of the wall.

There was a 20% discount to celebrate its opening which turned out to be quite a deal since I saved about $6X.

Basically they offered three types of fish: Cod (Ling), Barramundi, Red Snapper served with chips, salad or rice.
There was a choice of beer battered or grilled fish.
For the fish, there were a choice of sauces such as tartar, ginger and soy, wasabi mayonnaise, sweet chili or garlic aioli.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
The lot:

This is good if you want to try everything because it had calamari, haloumi cheese, prawn skewers, fish, chips and salad.
The chips were slightly disappointing because they were hand-cut and they just tasted like frozen crispy fries, they lacked the soft oilyness that fresh cut chips have.
The calamari was delicious because the batter was extremely light and the fish was great because the batter was extremely thin.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Cod with rice:

As I already chose chips for "The Lot", I decided to choose rice to go with the fish.
It was no ordinary rice which was why I chose it.
The rice was nutritious red rice mixed with red wine and coconut milk.


As you can see, the batter was thin and crispy.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
A bit pricy, but I do want to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...