Thursday, July 05, 2012

French Baguette Kingdom at Manhattan Avenue

While the English staple food is a good sarnie, the French have baguettes.

Same with the Chinese they can’t understand the love of bread and potatoes while we cant understand why they love rice everyday!

In France there will always be someone around carrying a baguette in a long paper bag.
If you’ve been to France there are so many food varieties and not just crepes and macarons.

To me there is nothing like a good crispy baguette with a moist soft chewy centre with nice fillings.
In Hong Kong there are not many French baguette joints so I have always wanted to try their baguettes.
Delifrance has recently started serving some "French" baguettes which are quite a rip off for around $60 when you can get the real thing here and there are more choices.
pic I took recntly outside Delifrance Wan Chai
pic I took recntly outside Delifrance Wan Chai
 
There are lots of joints for Vietnamese baguettes because of the French colonisation in Vietnam but I prefer the French Baguettes.

Anyway this shop is located at the end of Hillier Street on Manhattan Avenue, it is a nice spot to be located, away from the hustle and bustle of the other shops.
When you are on Hillier Street, keep walking until you see a building at the end of the road which saids "WRONG DESIGN" then you are heading to the right place. Chez Meli Melo is located before that.
Inside the shop were lots of down to earth decorations and the owner Joyce was really nice.
She was really passionate about food and doesn’t mind sharing the restaurants she has been to because some restauranteurs are always afraid of referring people to other eateries.

OK, so I was there especially for the baguettes, there were so many choices and I wanted to try the taboule as well, so I ordered half a baguette and the taboule instead of the salad. She was really nice and did not charge me the few extra dollars for changing to the taboule.
I ate the baguette there and she was so kind to offer me some water as well.
It was nice sitting on the bench forgetting that I was in Sheung Wan, but since I am not familiar with Sheung Wan the unfamilarity was fun and my imagination could go wild and imagine I was in LA.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Taboule:
This was the best Taboule I have ever had, it was soft and fluffy. Every bit was flavoured and all the ingredients used in the taboule was delicate and light such as mint, lemon juice and tomato.
The mint leaves used in the Taboule was fresh which does not have that strange artificial mint taste.
All the tomatoes, mint leaves were chopped up finely.
It was so delicious I regretted I did not order the big box of salad with the carrots after reading IVYCWK's review because the carrots were vinegared.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gruyere cheese and ham baguette
The one I chose just had plain simple cheese and ham. The cheese used was Gruyere the ones with holes in it, and the ham was soft tender and not too salty.
The best thing was that as well as ham and cheese I could taste the melted butter on the baguette and the amount of butter was just right.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
On my next visit I hope to try the Baguette with Brie, full salad and their desserts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...