Wednesday, June 13, 2012

ARTisAn'wich fine classy sandwich delights


 
I was really excited about this new Artisan sandwich shop because it reminds me of Frey and Ford in Central.

Anyway, I missed the lunchtime session so I could only order the mini sandwiches during happy hour.

During happy hour you can order the mini sandwiches in ones, twos, threes, half a dozen or a dozen so I ordered half a dozen because there were quite a few I wanted to try.
It was disappointing that you could not choose which six sandwiches and they do no list the sandwiches they serve.
They did have tiny product shots but NO description on the leaflet and on the ipad. On the ipad it features 12 different babywiches after enlarging the iPad product shots they were pretty unclear.
I only knew roughly what sandwiches they offered because of the reviews by 'wich hardcore fans on OpenRice who are really supportive of 'wich and have only written a review for 'wich so far on OpenRice.

The six babywiches were basically a blind surprise at what you will get.

When the sandwiches arrived I was really disappointed that I got only three flavours, two of each.
I only took a picture of one plate because the other plate was the same.
Anyway I was annoyed that I ended up only sampling three flavours out of the twelve yummy flavours they had and the whole purpose of ordering six was trying six different flavours, I really did not expect the other three would be the same.

I was hoping to try the marinated zucchini and roasted okra with pesto on ciabatta but it wasnt in the surprise I got today.
When they were served I felt that they should have given an introductory of what sandwiches they were especially when there is no menu or list specifying which ones youre going to get.
As it was selected by them they should proudly present you with the gourmet selection they created for you.

Anyway, as they did not tell me what sandwiches they were I asked them what they were and I was surprised they asked if there was anything I was allergic to which should have been asked before they made them to avoid wasting the ingredients or the customer getting allergic reactions without realising it or serving pork to someone who does not consume pork.

Since I eat Western food, some of the things were obviously such as hummous, beetroots etc and other obvious pairings but I still think they should proudly tell you what they have given you especially because the style of this place is chic and classy.

Personally I like menus that list out what food they serve as it shows how skilled and creative the Chef is.
It seems that there was wine to go with these babywiches but no one informed me, but since I do not drink alcohol it didnt matter.

Although I was disappointed I did not get to sample six different flavours, I went again during a different time and got the takeout, I bought two sandwiches and the bag was not as nice as the one shown on Openrice with a handle, it was just a plain paper bag which was not appropriate for that day because it was raining hard.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Take out bag that I got:
I was expecting the bag below as I bought two sandwiches that day and it was raining:
http://static4.openrice.com.hk/UserPhoto/photo/3/2S2/00JRKQFE686EB45762F0EBm.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Tried the Funghi porcini and JAWS
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Funghi porcini
This was sauteed mixed mushrooms, garden herbs and forest mushroom puree in a soft roll.
I loved this roll, it was loaded with lots of mushrooms and the herbs were strong.
It would have been great if the roll was not so tough and chewy.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
JAWS
This was sicilan tuna, marinated fennel, pickled lemon, and dill on baguette.
Same with this baguette it was too chewy I would really need to be JAWS from James Bond to eat this.
Despite that, the filling was delicious, the tuna was creamy and the pickled lemon was refreshing along with the aroma of dill.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Anyway, I'll be back to try their other sandwiches as I have faith they will taste nice and I like the way they pair the ingredients.
The Roasted pork belly with green apple shiso pureƩ was a good pairing of Chinese style pork belly with the western pairing of pork and apple which I need to try next time as well.
The name of that baguette 'Pork belly futures' was also interesting as it reminds me of derivatives and trading!
(This was not a recent visit and I did not write this review imediately because I was waiting for other reviews by other reviewers before writing my comment because I did not want to be the first to give my opinion because there are quite a few supportive reviews by hardcore fans who only reviewed 'wich on OpenRice as of mid-June 2012.

Anyway 'wich was opened a few months ago so they are in their teething stages but I have full confidence that they will do well and I like their concept, artisan sandwiches and ingredients they pair together for their sandwiches).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...